Thanks for being here!!

Dear Diary – April 25, 1993,
OK, I’m so sorry that I haven’t written in (exactly) three months, but I’ve just been kind of lazy and getting around to it, (you know how you always tell yourself to do something but you still forget?) So I’ll try to bring you up to the basics:

1. I have had 9 treatments so far, only 3 more left! (They said I’d have to do all 12)
2. My hair is basically gone, (5th treatment) I still have about 20-30 more strands, and there’s kind of fuzzy on the top of my head from the hair that is already starting to come back. But, I wear a hat* all the time (I have quite a cute collection now), with a bandanna on under it, and the important thing is that I’m comfortable and I look great in them.
*we gave the wig back – thank goodness
3. Two catscans ago (the one I was talking about last entry) the results were that the cancer had gone down 80%!
4. Two weeks ago, I had another catscan and the results were that the doctors could see a little bit of enlargement in my lymph nodes, but they said that that could be just a little bit of it left over – or scar tissue! Isn’t that great? I’m pretty proud!
5. My birthday parties were a smash! They were both really fun!
6. It’s spring now! Easter was real fun! I spent Spring vacation in St. George with Uncle Paul and Shelley’s family that was really fun! The only thing that I wouldn’t live over is the part that we were playing basketball with some other little boys that went down there, and someone passed me the ball a little high – and poof! My hat came off my head! I thought I was going to die – but Mary Kathryn said that I reacted very well, I just turned around, picked up my hat and put it back on, and the game was back on again!

Well, things are O.K. I look really healthy, my color is back and better than ever! I look real good – even without hair!

It’s pretty hard, but I’m chugging along alright. Sometimes I get really sick of all this, and I just want things to go back to normal, but then I remember how lucky I am that I’m beating this thing so well.

I can’t say that I don’t miss my hair terribly. There are boys at school that I like, but it’s hard because I know that they wouldn’t like me, because I have to have a hat on all the time. Sometimes it’s hard to just keep my head above water, but I’m doing really well in handling this, and I’m real proud.

I’m really looking forward to summer, because I should be about done with all this crap and I can start to relax. The real big things that I’m looking forward to are the trips to California. And I’m looking forward to my hair coming back. I’m anxious for things to go back to normal, because then my life will be better than ever, because I will be so much wiser from this experience, and I’ll appreciate things more.

By the way, I love my clothes! I have all the kinds I like.

Well, wish me luck! I’m not quite through with this yet! I still have to pull a bit more strength out of me to help me deal with this stuff!

I’ll try not to be gone as long as before.

Love ya! Thanks for being here!